Justice Devendra Kumar Upadhyaya was sworn in as Chief Justice of the Bombay High Court, know his biography and education
On Saturday, Mr Upadhyaya’s swearing-in ceremony was attended by Chief Minister Eknath Shinde and Deputy Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis.
Who is Devendra Kumar Upadhyaya new Bombay High Court Chief Justice, biography, age, family, education, salary
Justice Devendra Kumar Upadhyaya, the recently appointed Chief Justice of the Bombay High Court, took the oath of office. The oath ceremony was administered by the Governor of Maharashtra, Ramesh Bias. It was organised in the Darbar Hall of Raj Bhavan in Mumbai.
Who Is Devendra Kumar Upadhyaya?
Justice Devendra Kumar Upadhyaya (D.K. Upadhyaya) was born on June 16, 1965, in Uttar Pradesh. He earned his Bachelor’s degree in Law from Lucknow University, Uttar Pradesh, in 1991.
Devendra Kumar Upadhyaya’s Personal Life
He was born to RA Upadhyay, who was a noted lawyer on the board of revenue. His father also worked as standing counsel to different departments, including Chhatrapati Shahuji Maharaj Medical University, the Reserve Bank of India, the Lucknow Development Authority, UP Power Corporation, and the National Thermal Power Corporation.
Meanwhile, not much is known about his mother, wife and children.
Devendra Kumar Upadhyaya’s Career
- On May 11, 1991, he enrolled as an advocate at the Bar Council of Uttar Pradesh by joining the senior advocate Khan in the Allahabad High Court.
- He moved to the office of senior attorney SK Kalia in 1997.
- In 2007, he was chosen to serve as the UP government’s chief standing attorney at the Lucknow bench.
- He specialised in civil and constitutional matters during his time in office.
- Mr Upadhyaya was promoted to additional judge of the Allahabad High Court’s Lucknow bench in November 2011.
- On August 6, 2013, he took his oath to serve as a permanent judge of the Allahabad High Court.
- He was appointed as a senior judge of the Allahabad High Court’s Lucknow Bench in March 2023, where he held the position of the third-most senior judge.
- He also serves on the Allahabad High Court’s administrative committee.
- The Supreme Court Collegium, which consists of Chief Justice of India (CJI) DY Chandrachud and Justices SK Kaul and Sanjiv Khanna, suggested naming Justice Upadhyaya as the Chief Justice of the Bombay High Court in its resolution dated July 5, 2023.
The 58-year-old worked as a freelance journalist before going into the legal field and published numerous articles in well-known newspapers.
Devendra Kumar Upadhyaya’s Salary
According to the seventh Central Pay Commission (CPC), a high court judge’s salary is approximately Rs. 2,25,000, along with additional allowances.
न्यायमूर्ती देवेंद्र कुमार उपाध्याय यांनी शनिवार (२९ जुलै २०२३) राजभवन येथे मुंबई उच्च न्यायालयाचे मुख्य न्यायाधीश म्हणून शपथ घेतली.
— LoksattaLive (@LoksattaLive) July 29, 2023
ALSO READ: Who is Valeria Duque with whom Rauw Alejandro allegedly cheated on Rosalia as she goes viral on Instagram